Wednesday, June 3, 2009

THE “Deal”


When my father was diagnosed with cancer, I vividly recall him praying that he be given at least another year of life.

He was given three.

When I was diagnosed, I was newly divorced and raising my then 13 year-old son and 9 year-old daughter on my own.

I, too, prayed...

“Lord, please let me see my children graduate from high school!”

Today is Anna’s last day of high school.

She graduates Friday night.

And mixed amongst the bittersweet emotions of my beautiful daughter’s accomplishments, she becoming an adult, testing her wings and eventually taking flight is the remembering of my “deal”.

But as we all know...NO ONE is guaranteed tomorrow, so sans the unavoidable accident...I have some comfort in the fact that my dad was given triple the time he asked for...which if that math is still in place...should give me another 18 years, at the least.

praying my deal time is increased

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got plenty of time left, but just in case, you can have some of mine. ;-)
-WaterloggedFly

Liz Harrell said...

Susan, this made me tear up. You're such a lovely woman, and I have a feeling you're going to be around for a long time.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I don't think it was a deal - it was just grace.