Wednesday, February 18, 2009

John....

is one of the first people you see upon walking into Loyola Medical's Cancer Center in Maywood.

John has been there for years...I know because at the end of 2001 and for all of 2002 I saw him on a regular basis.

John is always in his dark blue security uniform – greeting you, signing you in, giving directions and just generally making you feel welcome.

So yesterday upon entering Loyola I was dismayed to see that John wasn’t in his usual spot.

I had my blood drawn and because I had to fast prior to the draw, my sisters, our Momma and I needed to get some lunch, before having to return for the appointment with my oncologist at 4 p.m.

We left the campus and randomly drove around....seriously RANDOMLY drove, I turned the wrong way down a one way street (YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY!); blew thru an unnoticed stop sign; went over railroad tracks, and then back over them again after noticing a restaurant that I have seen outside of my commuter train window for some 18 years....Connie’s Restaurant in Berwyn...a little Greek joint where we could probably get our Momma her favorite basket of rolls, butter and some good food without having to spend a fortune.

I pulled into a parking space along the tracks and we headed in.

We weren't two feet in the door when I spotted a very familiar face...

it was John!

“Why are you not at work today?” I shouted while pointing at him.

“Oh my God, look at you!” he responded.

John went on to introduce us to his dining companion, a childhood friend, who shared with me that even though John now lives in Oak Park...they have been meeting at Connie’s since they were 14 years old.

Now I know that there are some people that will say...”So what..you ran into this guy by chance!”

But I am here to tell you that I wanted to see John and it was “arranged” from high above that if I couldn’t see him at Loyola...I would happen upon a restaurant..miles away from the hospital and many miles away from where John lives, so that we could still have our yearly chat.

because God can do all that

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!!

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

just imagine if you'd actually followed the rules of the road, you might not have been lead on the path to see someone. I think it's magical. it's not chance that you saw him.

Hope your appt went well and the news is good!

just remind me the next time you're on the road-
you should.