Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I won! I won! I won!

I am pretty sure she knew we were racing.

I tried to get around her on the Adams Street bridge several times – using all of my usual tricks that I have learned over the years – a cough, which didn’t wake her up to the fact I was on her left side and wanting to pass;

I followed that up with a rustling of the bag I was carrying – which got her to move ever so slightly to her right – allowing me to be about even with her and that is when the race started.

I kicked my pace up a notch trying to pass the self-appointed “Queen of the Bridge” and suddenly she put it into overdrive.

“Oh, no you don’t, Queenie!”

I fell into a full blown walking-sprint - never glancing her way – but my side vision let me know that we were neck-and-neck.

By the time we hit the lip of the bridge where it edges to the sidewalk – I was triumphantly a full chest ahead.

Dressing in layers, especially wearing my padded cami, really benefited me in several ways today - all while just trying to stay warm during this Chicago winter.

sprinter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, super walker! A quick 180, followed by "nanny nanny poo poo" would have been a completely appropriate confirmation of your win. Nothing like a little early morning competition to get the blood flowing.

-gotta get going

Hedy said...

Hilarious. And so true. Every day I'm confronted with people who OWN the sidewalk. It's fascinating how people can walk right down the middle of the sidewalk, leaving no room on either side for people to pass. Life's a journey, not a destination, folks (Aerosmith). But if you don't get the hell outta my way, your journey will be cut short. :)