Monday, August 3, 2009

“Necessity……

who is the mother of invention.”

In quoting the Greek Philosopher, Plato, his saying is as true today as it was during his life in 300-400 B.C.

“Just how am I going to make ends meet now that child support has stopped?” I asked myself over and over.

“Think, Think, THINK!” I would silently implore.

Fevering madly during a recent bout of swine flu...I had hoped for a crazy dream divulging what I should do to financially succeed.

But, alas, I only dreamt about being blind....which, in hindsight, was true, oh so true.

On the other hand, my son, Phillip, also suffering with high fevers...dreamt he was living with a tribe in Africa and sucking milk from a goat’s teat.

I told him that it was wrong for him to share a sex dream with his mother!

Needless to say...we both recuperated (thankfully), but I gained no financial enlightenment.

That is until I read a story about Angela Logan, a single mom, whose mortgage payments had doubled and was in jeopardy of losing her house. Angela started selling an apple cake, a recipe that had been in her family for years, that she renamed the “Mortgage Apple Cake” pricing it at $40, with a goal of selling 100. As you can read in this article she is now out of debt and well on her way to being a very successful business woman.

I can bake!

And people LOVE the cookies I give away as gifts only at Christmas.

Would others, besides my friends and family, also like them?

Enough to actually PAY for them?

Well, I will soon see.

THIS Saturday I will be debuting "Chocolate Polk-A-Dots" at my suburban farmer’s market.

From 8 a.m. until 12 p.m.

Sixteen all natural ingredients shortbread with a chocolate non-pariel on top, nicely packaged - $6.00 per bag – two bags for $10.

So as Plato said all those years ago...I am being driven by necessity and inspired by Angela Logan.

I also am seeking prayers of encouragement and success.....

and maybe, just maybe, if you happen to be in downtown Batavia this Saturday morning, stop on over at the Farmer’s Market and sample a Chocolate Polk-A-Dot.

then buy a whole whole lot

No comments: